Pooled Trust

A quicker, more affordable way to protect your future.

What is a Pooled Trust?

A Pooled Trust (also known as a (d)(4)(C) trust) is a special needs trust created by Social Security legislation in 1993. It requires a non-profit trustee. Achieva Family Trust provides you with enhanced investment opportunities by combining your assets with other individuals. However, we continue to account for your assets separately.

Who can open this trust?

If you are an individual with a disability or a parent, grandparent or legal guardian of an individual of a disability, you can establish a Pooled Trust. The court can also establish a Pooled Trust.

How does it work?

Assets in the Pooled Trust are used for the sole benefit of the individual with a disability to improve his or her quality of life. These assets are combined (or “pooled”) for investment purposes, so the trustee can have greater investment options. The trustee maintains separate accounts for each beneficiary. Any remaining funds when the beneficiary passes away are placed in our Charitable Residual Account, which benefits people with disabilities.


  • Achieva Family Trust adds valuable social service expertise to the traditional role of a corporate trustee.
  • A person with a disability has the option to open a Pooled Trust for their own benefit.
  • The trust account can be established quickly with no start-up costs.
  • Funds are pooled for enhanced investment options.
  • A corporate trustee provides continuity and eliminates the need for a successor trustee.
  • Achieva Family Trust operates the largest Pooled Trust in Pennsylvania and serves several other states.

What are the next steps? 

  • First, we'd encourage you to contact us to learn more about how a Pooled Trust may assist you, your loved one or your client.
  • Then you should carefully review the terms of the Master Trust Agreement. This is the legal document that contains the terms of our Pooled Trust.
  • If you decide to move forward with a Pooled Trust you will need to complete the Joinder Agreement and Disclosure.
  • Mail the completed, signed Joinder Agreement and Disclosure document to us, along with a check in order to open your own Pooled Trust.
  • These documents are also available in Spanish and can be found by clicking below.

Contact Us

Spanish Versions